Friday, January 1, 2016

PAPA DUKE WOULD HAVE BEEN 92 ON JANUARY 5th





In the early 1970s, wandering through the Science Museum, London with my father, we happened upon a large painting of Waterloo train station painted in 1967 by an artist named Shaun Stothard.

Inspecting the painting, I discovered a figure in its lower left center that looked exactly like my father, that is, how he looked in 1967, carrying an artist's portfolio, the same as he used to carry.






I called my father over and together we marveled at the likeness of him.

Although in 1967 we still lived in southern California, my father had spent a month in London during mid-1967, and must have gotten frozen in time in a photo taken by the artist in preparation for his work of art.


I occasionally wondered about this painting, especially after my father passed in 2008.


A few weeks ago, through a few deft strokes on my keyboard, I found it on Google images.